Chad's Blog

Married and on Medicaid: The Resource Assessment

Posted by Chad Seiter | Nov 09, 2021 | 0 Comments

Medicaid eligibility rules for married long-term care Medicaid applicants are different from rules for an unmarried person.  Before reviewing the process, I think it would help to explain some terms.

  • Institutionalized Spouse: the spouse residing in a skilled, long-term care facility
  • Community Spouse: the spouse residing at home (or in an assisted-living facility)
  • Resource Assessment: A pre-application screening process involving the Medicaid office to determine the amount of a married couple's resources and what spend down will be in order to achieve Medicaid eligibility.
  • Spend Down: The post-Resource Assessment process of allocating resources and/or spending resources to achieve Medicaid eligibility for the Institutionalized Spouse.

The Medicaid rules for a married applicant are designed to protect the Community Spouse from impoverishment given the high monthly costs of nursing care. As such, the Community Spouse is allowed to keep some of the couple's resources.

Before any Medicaid application can be made, there first must be a Resource Assessment. This requires gathering all necessary documentation regarding a couple's resources and meeting with a Medicaid caseworker. Before applying for a Resource Assessment, I will typically perform my own Resource Assessment as a test run before going to the Medicaid office. It's important to do this so I can catch potential errors of a Medicaid caseworker and to allow for the client to know what to expect once the Resource Assessment is obtained.

The Resource Assessment itself involves several steps concerning how assets are categorized, a determination of the Community Spouse Resource Allowance, as well as the Excess Resources that would be spent down.

Once assets are spent down or reallocated to the sufficient numbers, a Medicaid application can be filed at last.

For more information on the workings of the long-term care Medicaid application process in Kentucky, contact Darpel Elder Law today.

About the Author

Chad Seiter

Attorney at Law


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Feeling overwhelmed? Worried about your life savings?

Let us know how we may be of further assistance to you and your family. Our staff is looking forward to speaking with you!

Contact Us Today

Darpel Elder Law is committed to answering your questions about elder law issues in Northern Kentucky.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.

Darpel Elder Law
507 Centre View Blvd.
Crestview Hills, KY 41017
859-341-7630 (fax)